Today NCVO hosted an event exploring volunteering during the economic downturn chaired by Karl Wilding (Director of Public Policy, NCVO). Speakers included:
- Lynne Berry, Chair of the Commission on the Voluntary Sector and Ageing
- Debbie Usiskin, Vice-chair of the Association of Volunteer Managers
- Simon Parker, Director, New Local Government Network.
They discussed how volunteering had fared over the last few years and what might lie ahead.
The event marked the release of the report from a three-year research project, funded by the Big Lottery Fund. The research looked at volunteering across England during the downturn and drew on more than 140 interviews with volunteers, organisations that work with volunteers and local authorities.
A summary of research and the full research report is available to download:
Two project briefing papers were also produced summarising the key issues for Volunteer Centres and Councils for Voluntary Services and for Local Authorities:
- Briefing for local infrastructure organisations (PDF, 300KB)
- Briefing for local authorities (PDF, 300KB)